May 15, 2012

Mother's day talk

We got that call from a member of the bishopric the other week. The one where you know you are going to be asked to do something:)
Well the asked me and Cars to speak at Church on Mother's Day. This being my third time speaking on Mothers Day at church. I had the great idea to just find one of my old talks on the computer and reuse that:) I must of not saved them though because they could not be found so that forced me to write a new talk. Giving the actual talk doesn't make me near as nervous as preparing the talk! Of course I write an entire talk and then the Thursday before church I decide to rewrite a completely different talk. It all worked out though and my talk went great! Carson of course is just the greatest and his talk made me cry, I am so so so grateful for him and his testimony. He makes me better!
 
I wanted to share a little bit of my talk so that next time I am asked to speak on Mother's Day I can just look back here and use parts of this:)

"Motherhood is not what was left over after our Father blessed his Sons with the privilege of the priesthood ordination. it was the most ennobling endowment he could give his daughters" -Sheri Dew

Think about why we are here...
We are here to build the kingdom of God! Now if you thought your math homework or cleaning the house was a big task how about trying to build the kingdom of God. It is amazing that God trust us enough to send down his children so that we can love and lead them through life and help them make it back to where they started, with our Father in Heaven.

love and lead, two words that pretty much sum up the work of God and Christ, and if our work is the Lord's work then I would say it is pretty important that we love and lead. Loving and leading is the essence of women.

We are taught over and over that motherhood is sacred. The prophets have never ever changed their teachings on the doctrine of motherhood. Never. It has always been the same and always will be. It it crucial that we understand our role and identity as a women. If we do not understand it then Satan will tear us down. He will tell us that being a mother and woman is nothing special, he will continue to try and devalue our roles. Do not let Satan confuse you with things of the world.

Being a mother has a very deep meaning. We usually think of motherhood as having and raising children, and is most definitely is that but we must remember that it is also the core of who we are as women. Children or not we each must love and lead those around us. Some of us will not have to opportunity to have children here in this life, this does not mean that the Lord does not trust you or love. There is no question about how the Savior feels about us. All around us are people that need us, they need to be loved, and they need to be lead. There is a rising generation and if they do not see righteous womanhood modeled from us they will not find it anywhere else. They will try to find their identity in the world, when you try to find your identity in the world you will not find happiness.

I am grateful to my mother who has taught me who I really am, that I am not a woman of the world but that I am a woman of God and that he loves me. Every child need to be taught that, those are the kinds of lessons that do not get erased from your child's memory. They can then teach their children and  you can then look back and see a righteous posterity of woman who know what their calling in life is.

Before we came down to earth I think our Father in Heaven described our role to us, he told us that we would be loving and leading his children back to him. I do not think we said "Well that is lame, can't we do something better, something more exciting?' No. I think we stood there is aw that we would trust us enough, we knew that there was no greater calling. We can't let the Lord down, be worthy of his Trust and continue to love and lead his children.

I know that as we pray to understand our roles as women we will find purpose and joy. President Hinckley said, " He who is our Eternal Father has blessed you with miraculous powers of mind and body. He never intended that you should be less than the crowning glory of His creation."

LOVE YOU MOM! Thank for always being such a positive example a woman and a mother :)




4 comments:

Allie said...

Just wrote must of that down in my quote book! So wise Heath. You are going to be an incredible mother one day. Love you!

kylee said...

next time you speak in church CALLL MEEEE! but really. i want to come listen! that first sheri dew quote you posted is one of my favorites. i used it one year at a gamma thing when i was asked to talk about motherhood. ahh heather i loved this so much. love and lead. i am going to try harder to love others and lead them to christ. i've been reading nienie's book and every time i pick it up i just get so excited for my future life of motherhood. but the best part is, motherhood is now. it doesn't come when you give birth. we can all be motherly now. you read kelli's blog right? chronicles of she. please tell me you read her mother's day post, she said it perfectly. this post of yours was so uplifting and powerful. that paragraph about heavenly father telling us beforehand what our role will be on earth. just wow. i pictured that in my head and tears welled up in my eyes. i seriously feel so blessed to be a woman, a mother, and a daughter of god.

Mike N said...

Can you and Carson come talk at our ward for Father's Day? :) I love you! You are so like your Mom...beautiful inside and out.

B and C said...

You are so cute and funny, love reading your insights. Hope Carson's family is at peace and you know he is watching down over you all. xoxo